After two
full days of training in Dar es Salaam, Domitila (a local YCI staff member) and
I took a bus into the country side to get to my placement city of Morogoro (on last Thursday)! A
few hours later, after several stops and crazy traffic, once again, we arrive
at the Morogoro bus loop. Crazy busy with people all wanting me to take their
taxi, I let Domitila negotiate a taxi and then hopped inside so I could avoid
the crowds yelling “Muzungu Muzungu, taxi taxi!!” or something of the sorts,
and we left the crazy bus stop off to a hotel for a night (as my homestay was
not ready to host me yet).
Morogoro is
a quaint yet busy little city set in front of a backdrop of the beautiful
Uluguru Mountains. The city is filled with trees and only the few main roads seem
to be paved (thus far) and life seems to be very vibrant here. Beyond the use
of Dala Dalas (which for those who have been to Indo or Malaysia or Botswana,
they are the same thing as Combies, or for others they are what we would maybe
call a minibus) the streets are filled with Piki Pikis (motorbikes), people
walking everywhere, and bicycles, of which I don’t know the Swahili name for
yet. I was told that YCI has a bicycle for me to use so as soon as I find my
own place to live I will look forward to biking around town. I look forward to
spending time describing the city and outlying areas (where most of my work
should be taking place) to you all soon, as soon as I explore the area more.
No comments:
Post a Comment